fot

Re: Did Any FOTers Know Dave Heinz (TR8 w/ #57)

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Did Any FOTers Know Dave Heinz (TR8 w/ #57)
From: Dave Riddle <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:58:19 -0700
A quick Google revealed the following...

--------
1978 TR8 ROADSTER. Ex-Dave Heinz. 1980 Canadian GT-1 national champion, C
Production history. Orange/yellow. Huffaker flares, stock car-style cage.
Fully adjustable suspension, much Group 44, Slagle. Too much to list. New
or recent: pro-built engine, gearbox, brakes, paint. Many spares, including
dry sump, molds. Has run HSR, SVRA, VSCDA. $22,500 OBO. 18' enclosed
trailer also available. (262) 743-2500 or wandklaw@genevaonline.com (WI) 08-03
-----------
TR8 GT-1 RACECAR

I own ACN 01086UCA, apparently a 1978 Canadian- market pre-production
coupe that was later converted into GT-1 racecar (roadster) specs.

I believe it to be the 1980 Canadian national GT-1 champion, the '81
NORRDIC C-Prod. champ, & 3rd in the '84 NE Div. GT-1 championship.
I drove it to 3rd place in the 1995 Midwestern Council GT-1 standings.

Specs might be of interest:

- 2200 pounds with fuel Huffaker 215 ci motor
- 750 cfm Holley double-pumper
- MSD ignition, Carter fuel pump
- Tilton flywheel (Group 44)
- Borg & Beck clutch (Group 44)
- Carillo rods
- Buffum crankshaft
- Isky cam
- JRT 5-speed close-ratio competition gearbox
- Huffaker floater rear (3.89 ratio)
- 3-point stock car link with Panhard rod
- Carrera strut inserts with TR8 tubes (like Slagle's)
- Tilton 10-1/2" rotors, AP 4-pot calipers (front)
- JFZ calipers, Tilton rotors (rear)
- Huffaker IMSA-type fender flares
- Imron paint
- Tilton pedal assembly with bias bar
- Tilton proportioning valve
- Phoenix fire suppression system
- 22-gal. ATL fuel cell
- Compomotive 3-piece 15 x 10 aluminum wheels

I understand the build cost to have been $38,750!! I think the first
driver was Dave Heinz.  There are logbooks back to '81.
Subsequent drivers:  Robt. Borders; Ron Phillips; & me, Pete Wilson.

The car currently is garaged in Fontana, WI, awaiting an engine
rebuild.  I last ran it in March, 1996 at an HSR event at Sebring.

I also have owned an '80 TR8 convertible since 1986 (sunny-day driver).

TR8psing thru life,

      Pete Wilson
      blastpst@genevaonline.com
Also while looking found this good color picture of Tullius in his TR7 at
Sebring
http://racingsportscars.t35.com/photo/Sebring-1980-03-22-photo.html