fot

Re: Nomination

To: dave@microworks.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nomination
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:05:26 EST
In a message dated 2/23/04 6:22:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dave@microworks.net writes:

<< now double dips doing work for the Marines at Pendleton) has a great
Rickover story that he
 >loves to tell. >>

Rickover would make trips to the experimental Shippingport Atomic Power
Station in the 60s.  At that time, I was working the midnight to noon shift as
materials expediter.  Duquesne Light Company refueled the reactor at that time.

They didn't have Westinghouse or other contractors come in to do it, though
they had some advisors on shift.

His visits were like the Coming of the Messiah.  It was my duty to make the
entire reactor building look neat and orderly.  During refuelings, this
building looked like a bomb had dropped.  You couldn't just throw contaminated
drums
and other stuff outside.  He showed up three times during during my stay.

Later, Rickover pulled the AEC funds away from the project, and Duquesne
Light lost its farm club.  I ended up in a dirty, dusty, smoky coal plant built
in
the 20s, while many others ended up on the street.