fot

Re: Fuel system answers

To: spitfiresuz@141.com
Subject: Re: Fuel system answers
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:13:55 -0700
Susan and those who regulate,
Though I've never built the device to test the idea, instead of trying to
control the fuel pressure before the carb, allow full flow and pressure
to flow to the carb. Put a valve downstream of the carb that opens at the
desired maximum fuel pressure that allows excess pressure to bleed off
and return to the tank. That way, if pressure drops at full power, all
available fuel flow goes to the carb first. It is a little like the pill
system used in some mechanical FI systems but instead of a fixed orifice
it would use an adjustable spring loaded valve.
Just a thought.
Bill
70 GT-6+

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:26:37 -0600 Susan Kahler <spitfiresuz@141.com>
writes:
> Good morning!
>
> Regarding HPD's, I got fuel system answers from Bill Babcock
> (below):
>
> Single pickup fuel cell
> Two pumps in parallel with outlet check valves (gold colored
> centrifugal
> pumps--I think their Holly but might be carter).
> High flow fuel filter from Summit
> Cheesy silver regulator with pressure adjustment that you can buy
> everywhere
> (my nice one died)
> Three outlet manifold with pressure gauge
> 3-4 pounds with webers.
>
> Tony Drews, who has a "a single
> holley blue top and matched low pressure regulator."
>
> And Glen Efinger :I use the same basic setup on everything, that
> being
> Carter rotary for main pump & usually the same for backup, sometimes
>
> Facet. Dual pickups, Holley regulator & 2 1/2-3 psi. Usually use
> steel
> housing in line filter before regulator. Note that Facet isn't
> capable
> of handling flow requirements @ racing speed of some high speed
> big-bore
> engines so is a "limp home" only backup. Also some of the float
> needle
> valves have restrictive orifice that will limit high speed
> operation.
> The advice that has been posted re bowl orientation is correct.
>
> Uncle Jack kindly gave me his diagnosis and fix ideas, but cunningly
>
> kept his setup to himself!  :)
>
> Have a great morning, and thanks again to everyone who responded!
>
> Keep Triumphing,
> Susan     :)

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!