fot

Re: Mating Question (overdrives to transmission that is)

To: "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mating Question (overdrives to transmission that is)
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:57:42 +1300
Mating an overdrive is like changing UJs, once you've done lots and
discovered all the tricks it's quite easy. For an overdrive to fit to a
mainshaft the splines must be lined up, in the absence of a specially
modified mainshaft for the purpose you have to turn the rear set of splines
anticlockwise with a long screwdriver until they appear to be in line, or
rather a gnats knacker before they are in line. Go to far and go onto the
next one. You'll need good light so you can see what going on down at the
bottom. Then make sure the clip and cam are on the mainshaft, set the
overdrive with the flange on the floor so the open bit is sticking upwards -
grab the gearbox (making sure it is in a gear), and gently lower into the
overdrive turning the input shaft so the mainshaft lines up with the
splines - at a certain point you will probably have to move the pump drive
ring so the cam drops in. Don't forget the gasket.
D types, check the large eccentric of the cam is upwards (when in the car)
so it doesn't bend the pump. When they have clicked together move apart a
few mm so the bottom two nuts can be fitted.
A types, the pump must be pulled downwards with say string so the cam
doesn't catch and bend it when fitting together
John Kipping