fot

Re: Mating Question (overdrives to transmission that is)

To: N197TR4@cs.com, johnkipping@inet.net.nz, WEmery7451@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Mating Question (overdrives to transmission that is)
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:04:04 EST
In a message dated 2/28/2004 9:02:06 AM Central Standard Time, N197TR4@cs.com
writes:
A five gallon plastic pail works pretty good, too

> > I have always set the overdrive unit in a cinder block
Gosh...I don't know that much about engines and transmissions, but as a mason
contractor, I can offer that technically speaking 'cinder block' are no
longer readily available.  They have not been made in most jurisdictions for
many
decades.  Masons sure miss 'cinder block' because they were lightweight
compared to concrete block.  They did tend to have sharp projections and would
cut
your fingers if you handled them without gloves.  Masons would tape their
finger
tips when laying them, and Tender would wear leather gloves.  'Cinders' as an
aggregate normally came from power plant byproducts, now not readily
available.  They have been replaced by crushed limestone and the like in
concrete
block.  I think for the sake of accuracy vintage racers on the list may
continue
to refer to 'cinder block,' whereas modern, or real racers might use the term
CMU, or concrete masonry unit.

Just a thought.

Bill Dentinger