fot

RE: re-torqing cylinder heads hot???

To: "'N197TR4@cs.com '" <N197TR4@cs.com>, "'rocky@tri.net '"
Subject: RE: re-torqing cylinder heads hot???
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 09:26:44 -0800
 Problem is, you're anchoring in the wrong direction. When you torque them
you're bottoming them, which presses against the thread faces from the
bottom up, when you torque the head on, you're pulling on them in the
opposite direction. the threads at the bottom don't help "anchor" the stud
until there is enough stretch in the stud to pull them away from the bottom.
Until then all the tension has to be held by the top few threads. In
practice, the stud won't stretch that much and the threads will fail long
before you get there.