fot

Re: lube torqued fasteners?

To: jsukey@eng.utoledo.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lube torqued fasteners?
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:11:31 EST
In a message dated 3/16/04 11:36:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jsukey@eng.utoledo.edu writes:

<< Torque required to reach a given preload can be estimated by the equation:
 T=K*F*d

I have also struggled with the same questions, and finally started copying
what my machinist and stock car engine builder does:

-Put a little engine oil on the stock rod bolt threads, and any other stock
bolt threads.

-Carrillo Rods:  3/8" SPS-CARR rod bolts -- Use their assembly lub. (in the
furnished tube) on the threads and under the bolt head, and torque to 65 ft-lbs.

One time in the distant past, I was using STP as an assembly lub., and
stripped some threads.  I also found out that the click torque wrench that I
had
been using for so many years was reading low, and am now back to a beam wrench.