fot

Re: Warming tires (was Track pick-up)

To: "Dave Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Warming tires (was Track pick-up)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:00:19 -0500
IMHO, anybody can do the snake dance stupidly, not paying attention to those
around you, etc. Stupidity is something you just cannot legislate.

The snaking does not really need to be vigorous. Just the repeated act of
turning back and forth accomplishes most of the heating that needs to be
done for the start.

If I can get a little patch of track to myself I will go back and forth most
of the whole width. I do most of it early in the pace lap before we really
bunch up. I do not like to get right on the tail of the car in front because
pace laps tend to be herky-jerky until the pack-up and I want room for when
the guy in front brakes unexpectedly. If someone is going to be beside me
most of the way around (more common when the pace lap is very slow), then I
try to match the rhythm of his snake and still keep a good distance between.

Back when Carroll wrote his books, the slicks were not as gummy as they are
today. And as a result the off-line marbles were not as bad. As I said, we
always did it to warm up the tires, now we also do it to clean them off
which is a more recent reason.

Something else the snaking does is help bring up the pressures. I go out
about 6 lbs below my optimum pressures and some of that snake dance builds
up heat (in the tires' air) that helps build pressure.

Anyone who thinks a lap won't heat tires hasn't autocrossed. We only do a
lap at a time autocrossing, but the tires are definitely hotter at the
finish than at the start. OTOH, I have occasionally put on an "enduro"
autocross with a 3-minute run around a 20-second course. Fast guys can get
in 10 laps. By about lap 3 or 4 you begin to feel the handling change as
tires stick better -- something we usually do not experience in a 40-50
second autox run.

--Rocky Entriken