fot

Re: Roll bar material

To: portermd@zianet.com
Subject: Re: Roll bar material
From: ron meek <rmeek8@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 14:51:41 -0600
As someone who does a lot of cage fabrication for SCCA,NHRA and mini
sprint racing I feel compelled
to add my .02.
Depending on its condition 1020 has a yield strength of 40-50kpsi and an
ultimate strength of 50-60kpsi, these numbers are for normalized or
annealed conditions .
4130, has yield numbers of about 65-70kpsi and ultimate numbers of about
8105kpsi, again these are for
nomalized or annealed conditions, normalized and annealed are two
different conditions.
Most fabrcators use a welding wire or rod that results in 70-80kpsi
strength no matter if it's 1020 or 4130 so
the welded joints have the same elongation propperties.
Cages built with 1020 tubing usually use .120-.135 wall thickness while
4130 cages use .083-.095 wall thickness, 4130 represents about a 30%
weight savings.
Stress relieving a 4130 weldment by heating it to cherry red is
considered unnecessary these days, it is used
for much thicker wall thickness weldments though.
The biggest downside to 4130 is its cost and the time it takes to tig
weld, there have been many times where it has taken me 20 minutes to get
comfortable inside a car to complete a 2 minute weld, also if I'm not
satisfied with a bend I might be discarding $80-$90 versus $20-$25 for
1020.
Besides cost, I think 4130 is a superior material if you go real fast.
OK I've rambled on enough.

Ron Meek
Alb. NM