fot

Re: Roll bar material

To: markjwea@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: Roll bar material
From: ron meek <rmeek8@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:31:39 -0600
I think a well thought out and gusseted roll bar or cage is sufficient no
matter what the material.
Sprint car chassis' get trashed all the time and only occasionally do I
see a bar that is torn anywhere but at the
weld. As I said before 95% of chassis builders use ER70-S2 or ER80-S2 rod
which results in 79-80kpsi tensile strength at the weld with better
elongation properties than 4130 rod, some guys like to use 309 stainless
rod which looks real purty. If money is no object 4130 is better mainly
through weight reduction.
But a properly designed mild steel cage will save your life just as well.

Ron