fot

RE: Dot 3, 4, 5 or 5.1

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dot 3, 4, 5 or 5.1
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:39:39 -0700
> One of our local Triumph Club members is just finishing a resto
> job on his
> TR3 and is pondering which brake fluid to go with. The system has been
> either replaced or completely flushed so there is no issue of
> going with DOT 5.
>
> Which do you guys recommend? Or why "not" to use a particular fluid.

I'm likely in the minority here ... IMO DOT 5 is the only way to go for a
restored car.  All of the others will eat paint if they are spilled, and are
much more apt to be spilled due to their propensity to rot brake components
from the inside out.

Of course, the situation is considerably different for a race car.

Randall