fot

RE: TR4 puzzler - oil system

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 puzzler - oil system
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:13:30 -0700
We mortals certainly don't understand turbulent flow. There are so many
variables in a system like this that the obvious answers are almost always
wrong.

Take something really simple, like coolant flow through a radiator. All the
ordinary thermodynamic equations say you should get more cooling with more
flow, and yet we all understand that there's other things going on here.
Saying you need to slow the flow down so  the water has time to transfer
heat is not the real answer.  If we spent some serious time analyzing the
system we'd come up with closer answers. In the meantime, we know what works
empirically.

If I was going to guess, it would be that the flow through the bearing is
much more limited by the close fit of journal to shaft. If the flow is slow
enough the potential pressure drop across the partial obstruction would be
nil.