fot

it lives

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: it lives
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:38:11 -0500
It's official -- new blue lives again! It made the Big Noise again today.

It stays cool, it doesn't leak oil (well, maybe a little bit), and it
sounds phenomenal.

Time to kick back, and get to work on that bottle of Canadian whiskey and
sweet vermouth and then take a nap. I've released all my work clothes to
Frances for laundering -- all three stages -- "kinda clean", "acceptably
dirty", and "stands by itself".

I'm thinking of applying for part time employment at the local seed corn
company for a temporary harvest season job to help pay for this little melt
down. You city types may not understand this subtle small town humor. I
recommend that everybody take good care of their IRA so they can still race
when they get to be as ancient as me.

Now I must fess up -- new camshaft, the only one in the country --
guaranteed to get me more hp and faster out of the corners. But as usual,
if the car is faster, it's a credit my to driving skills, but if it's
slower, it's the camshaft's fault. Everybody understand this philosophy?
I've also reconfigured the domes on my pistons -- oops -- domes are  an
illegal  modification under 1961 rules. Don't tell VSCDA, okay? We'll see
what happens when I again go against my nemesis, Tony Drews. The best
racing I've had in my 41 years of racing has been against my son Tony. You
can't believe what an indescribable pleasure it is for both of us. I hope
The Good Lord will grant me a couple more years of that.

Henry Frye, where are you when I need you? He and I had a terrific thing
going at VIR -- I let him go around me at corner four (ahem) just to make
it interesting and chased him the rest of the race. I was using my stock
crank  6000 rpm, he was using his Moldex crank 7200 rpm, same lap times
while we were doing that but boy was it fun. Henry is a really good driver
considering how little he has got to drive, what with correcting all the
things that were wrong with his used race car purchase. Wonderful while it
lasted. I'm worried about Henry, though, afraid he's gone queer on us
because he will be driving a Formula Vee at our next event at Grattan.
You're going to have to think about this all winter, Henry. When are we
going to meet up next year?

Time to refresh the amber liquid in the glass. See you all, or at least my
Midwest buddies, at Grattan in two weeks. Boy, Grattan is wonderful. Blind
corners, decreasing radii, off-camber corners. People from outside the
Midwest, eat your hearts out. Hoo boy.

uncle jack