fot

RE: Moldex crank

To: "'BOB KRAMER'" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Moldex crank
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:53:33 -0400
Group,

I too have just uncovered an arresting discontinuity in my
crankshaft....number three journal at the aft connection to the
throw...fairly clean vertical break. The connecting rod was still attached
to the journal. Nothing came apart.

A Moldex crank might be a little over-kill for a motor which is not revved
over 5500 rpm, except something went wrong with this last one. It had 21
races on it including 18 Enduros and another 9500 street miles towing a
motorcycle trailer.

Which leads me to two questions:

1.   If one "does" a Moldex crank, is one then obliged to then cough up the
resources for Carrillo rods...and then go for some sort of special pistons?

2.   I have a totally unsupportable notion that my crankshaft failed because
of fatigue caused by harmonic flex. Several years ago I installed a radiator
fan and simply unbolted the old iron one. This left that 6" snout wiggling
out to the front of the engine. Was that a mistake? Should I install an MGB
harmonic balancer? If I have the crank, flywheel & clutch balanced before
installation, will this obviate the malevolent harmonic potential?

On the other hand, now that I am down to a raw block, the temptation to
forget economics and put together a bullet proof bottom end is pretty
tempting.

I look forward to your comments.

Richard Taylor
TR-4