fot

RE: transmission

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: transmission
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:49:56 -0700
> I have a peculiar problem with my transmission and maybe somebody
> can give
> me some ideas on what to investigate. It's a standard transmission, close
> ratio gears.
>
> The problem is that it shifts well, it goes into all gears well,
> but when I
> try to put it into reverse while standing still, it doesn't want
> to engage
> and the gears grind a lot.

Assuming you've tried the "touch 2nd gear" trick as Don described and it
hasn't helped ... this is a classic symptom of a dragging clutch or pilot
bearing.  For whatever reason, the engine is applying some amount of force
to the input shaft, enough to start it turning even after you've touched 2nd
gear but not enough that the synchros in other gears aren't enough to
overcome it.

Some possibilities :

1) Rust or gunk on the input shaft where the clutch plate rides on it or it
touches the pilot bearing.
2) Pilot bearing mangled by (recent) installation.
3) Alignment pins between engine and transmission missing.
4) Inadequate travel of TOB (usually accompanied by the clutch engaging very
near the floor).
5) Excessively worn or damaged input shaft (so clutch plate does not slide
smoothly on the splines).

and probably others I can't think of at the moment.

Randall