fot

Re: Casey's Devin Pictures

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Casey's Devin Pictures
From: matt matthews <mattspit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:17:00 -0600
Wire wheels get a bad rap because it is hard to get someone to fix them
properly.
When I first raced the Daimler back in 1964 I broke spokes on 2 wheels in
the first race. Sent them off to be fixed at $50 a pop. The next race I ran
them on I broke spokes on the same two wheels. Well---- that would not do on
a graduate students salary.

So I talked to a fellow racer that was a technical machinist at the
university. we decided we could make a jig and do it ourselves. Ran through
3 Craftsman 1/2 inch wrenches before we got a Snap On 1/4 wrench in a 1/2
inch blank made for brake adjusting. We then would set the wheel to within
0.005 inches of circularity and 0.005 inches of wobble (given random noise
sue to surface irregularities, with all spokes tuned to the same pitch by
ear. Never broke another spoke.
Oh yes, When I hit the wall at Daytona I ripped the front right suspension
of the car but the wheel was fine.
We then charged $25 a wheel and later went our separate ways,