fot

Road Atlanta Gear Ratio

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Road Atlanta Gear Ratio
From: yellowandgreen@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:30:32 +0000
Dennis DeLap here in the frozen midwest................
I am surrounded by Triumph parts - with my TR4 in construction and my TR3 in
race prep mode for the "Mitty" at Road Atlanta - I just hope that I can keep
everything organized. A common thread these days for my two Triumphs is the
rear axle. In preparation for the Southwick conversion on the 4 I have just,
this past Saturday, spent the day with my local Triumph club members at our
annual rear end clinic.  The stock open diff was replaced with a Detroit Locker
- I used the 3.73 ring and pinion that was there, reshimmed, preloaded, all the
fun stuff, then broke it back down for the trip to Geneseo.
I would like to do a similar teardown on the rear axle that is in my 3. This
axle has been Southwick converted already, and I believe that it is time to
check for wear.
So my question for the GROUP is this - Which gear ratio would be better for
Road Atlanta?  Currently the car has the 4.1 which is leftover from when an
overdrive transmission was installed. I have no plans for replacing the
overdrive so would the 3.73 be better at this point?