fot

RE: Road Atlanta Gear Ratio

To: <yellowandgreen@comcast.net>, <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Road Atlanta Gear Ratio
From: "Mike Munson" <fasttrs@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:46:38 -0500
Sam Halkias, another friend and I have always run 3:45s here in our
TR6's and always wished for taller gears. With an overdrive some TR4's
have run 4:11. That back strait is awfully long. Use the tallest you
have just don't pass me.

Mike Munson
In the frozen south

Dennis DeLap here in the frozen midwest................
I am surrounded by Triumph parts - with my TR4 in construction and my
TR3 in race prep mode for the "Mitty" at Road Atlanta - I just hope that
I can keep everything organized. A common thread these days for my two
Triumphs is the rear axle. In preparation for the Southwick conversion
on the 4 I have just, this past Saturday, spent the day with my local
Triumph club members at our annual rear end clinic.  The stock open diff
was replaced with a Detroit Locker - I used the 3.73 ring and pinion
that was there, reshimmed, preloaded, all the fun stuff, then broke it
back down for the trip to Geneseo.
I would like to do a similar teardown on the rear axle that is in my 3.
This axle has been Southwick converted already, and I believe that it is
time to check for wear.
So my question for the GROUP is this - Which gear ratio would be better
for Road Atlanta?  Currently the car has the 4.1 which is leftover from
when an overdrive transmission was installed. I have no plans for
replacing the overdrive so would the 3.73 be better at this point?