fot

Re: parts suppliers

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: parts suppliers
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:50:37 -0800
Bill Babcock wrote:

> Some of this stuff is simply hard to stop. Junk drives out good, because too
> many people can't discriminate.

Perhaps my armchair solution is too simplistic but I've always wondered
about two lines of parts, a "pro-line" and a "value-line" on items where
quality has been sacrificed to the point of reduced functionality.  I
realize it would mean increased inventory and other support costs, but
maybe the margin could be a little higher too.

If faced with a clear fitness of use difference in two parts that look
the same a lot of folks will always go for the look and cheap price.
After all most hobby cars see little use, a dry shelter and lots of
polish.  The person who doesn't really care that a bearing will last
only 15K miles because that represents at least 5 years of use will
likely go for the value line.  But the person who actually uses the
vehicle or just wants the option of building the best vehicle he can
build would have the option of spending the extra money to install
factory spec parts and chrome parts that do not peal or develop rust
specs almost before instillation is completed.

It would mean careful marketing not to make value-line parts seem to be
lower quality that the competition's cost reduced parts but I for one
would love the option to spend a bit more in order to get a part that
was every bit as good as the one on the vehicle when it left the factory.

Frankly if I buy a chromed part from Moss or anyone else the first thing
I do anymore is send it out to be properly rechromed.  As a consumer I
perceive that I could save money if I purchased a part that was properly
chromed the first time and not popping out with rust specs almost within
minutes of removing it from the wrappings.

TeriAnn
   New web site URL:  www.tjwakeman.net