fot

Re: Braided Steel lines - best method/tools for cutting?

To: s.janzen@comcast.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Braided Steel lines - best method/tools for cutting?
From: DennisR380@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:03:36 EST
Hi,

There is a large cutting tool that I've seen used at supplier stores. Sort of
like a big wire cutter. Not sure where to get it and whether it's something
that would be worth the cost. Call a big supplier and ask them what they use.
The down side is that it does pinch the hose at the cut point some which can
make assembly harder.

One tip around the standard method of cutting as you describe is to always
use a brand new hacksaw blade and choose the finest blade you can find. Wrap
the
hose tightly with masking tape using several turns around the cut area.
Squeeze it in a vice with just enough pressure to hold the hose as you saw
through
it. Have a new pair (sharp!) of diagonal cutters on hand so you can trim any
unraveled wire mesh ends before fitting the hose end. Also, I prefer Earls hose
above anything else with Aeroquip running a close second. The wire mesh seems
to stay together better after cutting and the rubber hose size tolerance is
more accurate. Fresh hose helps too. Nothing worse than trying to fit up a hose
end to a shrunken and dried piece of braided line. I've lately run across
some braided hose by other manufacture's and found it so difficult to deal with
that I returned it for a refund. Also, Aeroquip makes a special lubricant for
assembling braided hose. I'm not sure that it works any better than oil, but it
will sure impress your racing buddies. Good luck.

Regards,
Dennis