fot

RE: Braided Steel lines - best method/tools for cutting?

To: "'Jack W. Drews '" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>,
Subject: RE: Braided Steel lines - best method/tools for cutting?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:27:49 -0800
With braided steel the trick is how and when you remove the tape. Make sure
it's really tight before you cut, then cut and dress the end, push the inner
fitting into the tube to round out the tubing and tighten the braid against
the tape. Get your outer fitting in the vise (use aluminum jaw covers) and
wipe a drop of oil around the end. Pull out the inner fitting, take off the
tape and immediately insert it into the outer fitting. If you wait 20
seconds the braid will shift and make it a lot harder.

I also make sure to get the tube right up to the inner stop by looking in
the end, then mark the tube with a sharpie right at the edge of the outer
fitting. Put a tiny bit of oil on the inner fitting and make up the
connection. check your mark to make sure the tube didn't back out of the
outer fitting too much. It probably won't at all with "modern" fittings. the
older (and actually better) cutter fittings push the tube out more as you
make them up.