fot

Re: FoT Midwest Spitfire Guy Needs Help-Now!

To: <N197TR4@cs.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FoT Midwest Spitfire Guy Needs Help-Now!
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:40:09 -0600
<snip Joe's part>

> hi joe
>
> here are some of my questions.
>

> i think finding tires for my spitfire needs to happen soon.
> i want to use the most rubber on the ground that i can get by with.
> new or good used would work to get started. what size and where do i go to
> find them?

Assuming slicks, You basically have two choices, Hoosier & Goodyear. People
will argue back and forth which is better. I like Hoosier because I think
they give a damn about the club racer and Goodyear doesn't, simple as that.
Try Ron Ver Mulm at R&S Racing -- http://www.rsracing.com/ -- they're in
Iowa. Or Hoosier Tire Midwest - 574-936-8344, ask for Dave (not sure where
he is but CenDiv somewhere I think).

> i also would like to know what headers are available for the spitfire,
> mine is a home-built and has some fit problems.

Stahl Headers. And you have to bend back the frame on the right side for
room to fit them. IIRC, it is illegal to cut the frame for access, but
bending it is okay -- the frame there is basically an I-beam so you are just
hammering back the top of the I. (Deft whacks with a small sledge while the
engine is out).

> what is a good source for spitfire tuning and race prep information?

I have a couple of Spitfire friends I turn to, but they are basically not in
the business any more. If I needed someone, I'd probably ask Ted Schumacher
first and if Ted doesn't know he knows who does. And there's always Kas
Kastner ... get his books. They're both on this list.

> how do you identify the best engine to prep for racing?

No answer there. To me a bare block is a bare block and it's the engine
builder that counts. I went through some bad experiences before finding a
good one. I've never used him but I hear only good things about Rick Cline
(and my builder put one of his cams in my car). There are some different
heads to choose from, one that was deemed illegal a few years ago is now
legal but with a weight penalty. Not sure it really matters, especially to
someone starting out.

> lots of changes to the car already,  i'm anxious to drive the thing soon!

Good luck!

> any help will be welcomed.
>
> tom

--Rocky Entriken