fot

Re: re-torque cyl heads

To: Alan Taylor <atenglish@mindspring.com>, Randall
Subject: Re: re-torque cyl heads
From: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:13:24 -0700 (PDT)
The TR7 was an interesting animal when it came to head torques. I've counted
five different "factory" methods to torque the head. Three bulletins were put
out changing either the spec or the method of tightening them. At the end of
production the spec was for a re-torque at the 1000 mile service, and you were
to loosen the bolts before re-tightening them. That method seems to be the
final one that they settled for, and I'm not sure if it was that or the
increase in quality control and changing of the factory that made it more
reliable. Thanks - Ed

Alan Taylor <atenglish@mindspring.com> wrote:When I worked at the British
Leyland dealer in the later seventies , I
PDI'ed (pre delivery inspection) countless TR7s . Without exception some of
the head bolts would be almost finger tight. I would torque them to spec and
when it came back to me for it's 1000 mile service I would re-torque again
and most of the time it was obvious that it needed it.

Alan T