fot

Re: one wire alternator

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, tarch@bellsouth.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: one wire alternator
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:31:53 EDT
I am just going through this mess after having the alternator for over a
year.  I copied Henry Frye's maneuver by ordering the six pound one wire
alternator from buyparts@partzfinder.com.  Now comes the fun.  Does anyone know
where I
can buy a long metric bolt (About 5 1/2 inches long)?  Right now, I have the
alternator anchored to the front plate through one side of the original
bracket.

You have to convert to negative ground since an alternator is being
installed.  I had to replace my old capacitive discharge positive ground
ignition box
with a MSD ignition.

No instructions came with my alternator, and I assume that one wire
alternators have built in voltage regulators, and that you do not use the old
Lucas
regulator.  You just hook the one wire some place to back feed into the battery.

Tim Studdard's old article on one wire alternators says that a wire must also
be run to the old Lucas regulator field to make the ammeter work.  Talking to
the ex-US Air mechanic, he says to replace the alternator with a volt meter
(13 or 14 volts means that the alternator is working, and about 11 volts says
that it isn't working).  Racer's Parts Wholesale shows a voltmeter replacement.
 This simplifies the problem, but I am still would not out of the woods.  I
will have to study the wiring schematic in the red shop manual to see what else
runs through the regulator -- ignition switch, etc.?