fot

RE: Re: Exhaust Gas Temperature Gage

To: "'Don Marshall'" <marshall@nefcom.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Re: Exhaust Gas Temperature Gage
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:48:40 -0700
I've kept quiet about this because I have no direct experience on Triumphs,
but I've done a lot of exhaust gas temp work building racing engines for
bikes. You want the probe as close to the exhaust valve as you can get it,
because you don't want the dynamics of the pipe to interfere. You're looking
for relative readings, cylinder to cylinder, and absolute readings to be
sure your exhaust valves aren't about to melt. The exception is for turbos,
where you need a probe close to the turbo to see what energy is available.
Turbo readings are scary. I don't know how that stuff stays together.

1600 degrees is not unusual on bike engines, though 1450 to 1500 is more
like it for general street bikes (though it's ranging higher as emission
requirements dictate leaner mixtures--one of the reasons that air-cooled
bikes won't be around much longer). The higher the RPM, the hotter the gas
can be, because the valve isn't off the seat for long. Bike engines running
at 15000 RPM commonly have 1700 degree EGT or even higher. Header pipes are
now commonly made of Titanium or even Inconel which handles sustained temps
in excess of 1800 degrees F. On the dyno they glow white hot. They also have
two little exhaust valves per cylinder that get cooled on the seat very
effectively. Absolutely none of this applies to Triumphs, except that most
of this stuff varies according to the engine parameters and there are not
that many absolute rules.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins