fot

RE: what's wrong with Vintage Racing

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: what's wrong with Vintage Racing
From: "barry rosenberg" <britcars@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 13:34:43 -0400
      The Mitty started out kind of like that, a lot of track time for a few
groups. But as the sport got popular and more and more types of cars came to
race, the number of groups got larger. To accommodate them all, and they had
to accommodate them so they could get that entry fee, the sessions had to
get shorter. Down here in Georgia, vintage racing is being hurt by it's
popularity. A lot of people and cars stay away from the Mitty due to the
large number of participants. So, success is leading to failure for the
economical type of cars. Not that our LBCs are economical. I figure we paid
about $243.00 per mile or $607 per lap for our weekend. We have to use the
car some more just to get the per lap cost down to something more
reasonable. Not knowing if the car would be finished on time, we entered
late and were able to run only the MG/TR race. We are looking for another
event for June or July.
     Did you see the number of big rigs in the paddock? Those moneyed people
race the cars HSR are after, not us. The Mitty did seem to follow a lot of
what you are talking about with entertainment for spectators, fair parties,
and a lot of racing. Do other tracks have a three hour quite time on Sunday?
That was a lot of time wasted that could have been put to better use. But,
it gave spectators a chance to see what the track was like. So why not just
have touring on Sunday and let racers have the track the rest of the time.
Improvements can be made but I think we ought to be happy that we get the
time we do. Without these sanctioning groups, we would all be breaking the
law racing on the streets.    Barry