fot

Brake Master Cylinder Needed -- Spitfire and GT6

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Master Cylinder Needed -- Spitfire and GT6
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:49:10 -0500
So, does anyone have a good used master cylinder for Spitfire or GT6 they'd
like to part with (Spit Mk 3 through early 1500, 1967-75) (all GT6 years) ?

Last spring, in a fit of desperation to get the Spitfire to the race track, I
stole the brake master cylinder off of my daily driver/autox GT6.  I was
thinking, of course, that I'd rebuild the Spitfire's MC and install it on the
GT6, as it's the same part.

But, having rebuilt the Spitfire's MC a couple of times, it still doesn't
operate properly.  It hangs up on the bottom end (the last centimeter or so of
its return).  Seems to catch on something.  We haven't been able to figure it
out.

So I thought I would just buy a new MC and bury the old Spit MC in the back
yard with the rest of the Triumph parts which have proven to be smarter than me
(stock ZS GT6 carbs, etc.).   Only it turns out that I can't actually bring
myself to BUY the new master cylinder -- it's $345 or so from the usual
suspects, and, more importantly, it would be sure and certain proof that I'm a
"parts-replacer" mechanic (which I suppose I still am, but I don't need to look
at proof of it all the time).

The result of all of this is that the GT6 has been sitting in my storage unit
for the last year.  This can't go on.

So I'm looking for that good used or rebuildable MC.  Anyone?

Scott