fot

Re: WATKINS GLEN

To: DSPGTi@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: WATKINS GLEN
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:43:35 +0000
> original message from Dave Y

> Admittadltly I have missed all of the TR featured races that have been
> held over the past several years so maybe we have had the some ratio
> of out numbering the competition. Again, I need to apologize for my
> lack of historical reference since I attend very few events.

No need to apologize, Dave. You just need to understand a couple of things. In
this country, the MG was the first British sports car that most people ever
saw. Even Kas Kastner started out in a MG (but he learned quickly, lucky for
all of us). As a result, after 30+ years of TRiumph ownership, I still have
people walk up to me and ask what year MG my car is (74 TR6). For that reason
alone, many people think of MG when they decide to buy their first old sports
car. So, a lot of MG's have been sold in the US for no other reason than lack
of knowledge of other fine(r) cars, such as a TRiumph. I like to think of it as
the sheep syndrome. On the other hand, discerning car nuts, which are fewer in
numbers, gravitated towards the TRiumph marque. Let's compare. From 1962 to
1980, MG made the MGB. Yawn. From 1962 to 1980, TRiumph made the TR3, TR4,
TR5/250, TR6, TR7, and TR8. If it wasn't for the TR2, MG would probably still
be making T series cars with updates. The TR2 kicked the TD's ass back in the
day. As far as I'm concerned, MG has never caught up.

So, with their greater numbers (baaa baaa), the MG guys are going to have
larger turnouts at events. Big deal. We had 55 or so TRiumphs at Mid Ohio.
Other turnouts since have been smaller. But boy, have we had some fun. At the
Mitty last month, the fastest lap time was turned in by a TR Vitesse, even
though he gave up over 1 liter in displacement to the 2 V8 powered MGB-GT's
that finished first and second in class. And neither one of those MG's could
have touched the Group 44 TR8, if only it had been there.

Don't worry about the numbers. If those of us in the TRiumph community are
outnumbered by the MG people out there, take it in stride. Think quality, not
quantity.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58