fot

Re: F1's Cluster (now long)

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: F1's Cluster (now long)
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:30:14 -0400
I'd like to give another perspective. I haven't had time to watch
the race (or anything else yet), as I was at the race. (Captain at
T3-3A.) We watched the whole field take the reccie lap and then the
formation lap. As the cars came around 12 and 12a, we started
hearing that cars were entering the pits. I turned to watch the
jumbotron behind me and started counting the cars entering the
pits. When I got to 11, I turned to the rest of the station and
they, too, were staring in disbelief.

We had heard earlier that there might not be a race but our
Flag Chief (the wacky and wonderful Kathy Maleck if anyone
cares) could not tell us anything. Perhaps the greatest concern
was that the crowd was, understandably, angry. They first started
booing, and then started throwing bottles and cans on the track.
We had several brave workers who ran out on the track to clear
the debris. The workers at some locations actually feared for
their lives. We had at least three instances of fans? climbing
the fences and trying to get to the track during the race. The
Sheriffs were called and responded to several incidents. At least
one person was arrested along the front straight. We were told
to leave the land lines and go to the backup radios with 2 laps
left. We were also told to get our equipment packed up and be ready
to board the busses or rollbacks as soon as the cool down laps were
by our stations. I don't ever remember being off the station as fast.

As to the tires. Michelin had 2 blow outs, one at T6, and the second
by Ralf at T12a-13. Ralf was replaced by Zonta for the qualifying
on Saturday, and the initial report was he was sore from the incident.
In retrospect, it may have been an early notice of the boycott.

I don't know what the Indy papers are saying today, but it is
my opinion that F1 in the US is no more. At least after next year.
I know that there had been talk of a race at Las Vegas, but I don't
think that it will get past the talking stage.

Sorry about the length of this, but this is the first time that I have
been able to put my thoughts down.

Cheers,

Doug

--