fot

Re: Oil pan gasket

To: "Mark York" <m-syork@comcast.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil pan gasket
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:35:10 -0400
I have been using the stock gasket on a stock pan with good success, I use
a thick bead of RTV to attach the gasket to the pan. I make sure everything
is lined up perfectly and leave the pan gasket side down on the shop floor
for a day allowing the RTV to set. Then I assemble without using any
additional RTV between the gasket and block. I have gone many seasons on
the same gasket, and the pan gets dropped at least once a season.

I have found the most important thing about sealing a stock oil pan is to
NOT overtorque the bolts! If you distort the flange on the pan it will not
seal until you pull the pan off, bend/hammer it back true and do it right.

My failing memory tells me somebody, probably Justin, was talking about a
silicone oil pan gasket. I sort of remember drilled bolts for safety
wire... Did this ever happen?