fot

Spitfire Axles

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Axles
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:20:52 EDT
Scott wrote:

I think I've got it licked now with this upgraded washer.  This is of course
somewhat different from the stock application.  I've never had a swing-axle
car before, but I recall that the inner yoke is retained on its splines by a
cross-pin, as opposed to a bolt that goes into the end of the axle, as this
aftermarket design uses.

then Ed wrote:

Leon: There are no "original" grade bolts in the location that Scott is
refering to. This bolt secures the yoke onto the splined section of the axle. I
used a grade 8 bolt and washer, but the washer has proved to be too thin in
grade
8. Thanks for the input - Ed

Oh, OK, I get it now, I hadn't realised that Scott had moved away from the
original set-up with an after market design.

Funnily enough, even with a stock rear drive shaft design on my Herald I
never had any real problems, in any of it's incarnations, from the original 71
bhp
all the way up to 106 bhp with twin Webers on an 8-port 1200 head, or 95 bhp
with a Supercharger, nor did I have any difficulties when I fitted a Quaif
3.89:1 Limited Slip Diff on that car and Koni Shocks all round. Wheel sizes I
tried with that car ran from 3.5" wide to 5.5" wide and tyre sizes from
155x70/13
to 185x60/13.
I never broke a single axle in 175,000 miles! But I did go through my fair
share of U.J.'s.

My Vitesse does not have swing axles as did the Herald. It has shortened TR6
sliding spline rear driveshafts adapted to fit on the Vitesse, it of course
has larger U.J.'s at each end of the shaft and that car has a 3.63:1 Quaif LSD
and Koni Shocks all round.  No problems so far, in about 17,000 miles.
I only fitted the Costal Fabrications fittings as part of my continual
upgrade program.
I will also be fitting Alloy Rear wishbones in due course...
It's an unsprung weight thing, you understand.

Best Regards

Leon