fot

Re: BRIC -- Huge pile-up!

To: spitfiresuz@141.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BRIC -- Huge pile-up!
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:26:17 EDT
In a message dated 07/17/2005 8:39:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
spitfiresuz@141.com writes:

> We just saw that there was a huge pileup of Group 6 cars (big bore
> guys, including an original Cobra) at the BRIC -- maybe 15 or more of
> them, and apparently there were injuries as well.  Anyone know what
> happened?  It was apparently on the green flag.

Amici:

Beady Eye had three cars there in Group 2 (there was also at least one GT6
(John Reed), Washatko's TR6, a couple of Spits Wayne(iack), etc.  Sorry if I am
missing someone.

While I did not see the actual pile up, Don Brick and I were out on the flag
bridge immediately thereafter.  Based strictly on size and scope, It was the
most horrific Motorsports pile up I have ever seen (pro or amateur).  Nineteen
cars were involved.  I would guess five or six maybe totaled.  The front
straight was strewn with Cobras, XKEs, Mustangs, Corvettes, Comaros, etc (in
places
three deep).  Phil Cull and John Golanty (two members of the driver's
committee) were seated in Race Control and it happened right in front of them.
They
describe a Camaro leaping fifteen feet in the air and coming down on top of
two other cars (three deep).  In spite of all of this metal and fiber glass
carnage, there was only one (-1-) significant injury and that a minor broken
arm.
They did take Carl Schiffmeyer (sp?) off on a back board, but he was the last
one removed, and I believe the effort was precautionary.  This was NOT
pretty, but thank God it was Group SIX, as these cars are beefy, and can take
more
abuse.  I don't even want to think of similar incident in the Monoposto series.
 As terrible as it was, It does speak loud about our safety efforts, but that
is little consolation.  If you don't have a HANS or similar device, you are
on a slippery slope.

A further observation that impressed the heck out me was the incredible
professionalism of the SCCA folk running the event.  Doomsday struck and
without
taking a breath, they went into action.  Down through the years I have made
jokes about SCCA's 'blind discipline' and officious nature.  Never again!  It
is
critical to handling such catastrophes, and it WORKS!

There will be many theories concerning what happened, but one of the racers
suggested a slow pace car (50 mph...probably too slow for this group), and a
late green flag contributed.  The front cars had VERY low qualifying times (low
2:20s) in HOT HUMID weather.  Clearly these cars are out of spec.  Coming up
the front straight the two lead cars apparently thought they would not get a
green and they slowed.  Then at the last minute the green came, and the next
group are cars (i.e., rows 4, 5, and 6) were still coming balls to the wall.
It
was NOT pretty.

Group SIX is plagued by an over abundance of testosterone (any lady drivers
are included in that description).  I am sure because Bob Wismer is the VSCDA
President, and I am the Treasurer, on Saturday night we had two group six
drivers in our tent complaining about Group SIX overdriving, over-preparation,
illegal tires, etc.
Late Sunday afternoon one came back.  No words were necessary.  We just
stared at each other.  Folks...this is serious stuff.

Bill Dentinger