fot

Re: BRIC pile-up

To: <BillDentin@aol.com>, <JReed@wilson.com>, <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: Re: BRIC pile-up
From: "David Kettler" <dkettler@tcbi.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:33:14 -0500
I was at the black flag station in pit lane and witnessed the crash.  I
expected that the #6 Camaro was going to continue up and over the pit wall
into the pit lane.  It did fly that high in the air.  As you can see in the
photos, that car was higher than the top of the barrier when it finally
settled. One of the first things I saw as I was climbing over the wall onto
the track was a driver from one of the cars at the bottom of the pile
getting out.  He appeared to be ok, but I had no idea who else may be
trapped below the rest of the pile.  I was relieved that no one had to be
flighted out.

I had a chance to get a good look at some of the 17 cars involved.  From a
tech inspector's point of view I was impressed with the construction of
these cars and the installation of safety equipment.  As I look at dozens of
cars each event I often wonder what would happen if some of the safety
equipment is put to the ultimate test.  On this day I saw fuel containers
that were crushed, yet no leaking bladders, batteries securely mounted that
stayed in place, roll cages with good welds that didn't break, windshields
that stayed in place with the clips installed, seats and belts that held the
drivers, helmets with Hans devices.  It amazes me that from time to time
crew chiefs, owners, drivers don't take recommendations seriously from the
tech staff regarding safety equipment.  I wish I could show some of these
individuals what happens when things are done right and the value they have
in minimizing injury.

Dave Kettler