fot

Re: TR 3 Steering

To: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 3 Steering
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:34:32 -0500
At 04:53 PM 7/29/2005, you wrote:
>I just made the switch to R&P over the winter and I have not seen it
>translate into faster lap times yet.  Over all the car steers much
>nicer and since I adjusted the bump steer at the same time it
>behaves much better.  The R&P even makes it easier to move in the
>garage or paddock.  Turn the wheel with one hand and the wheels
>turn, even with 9 inch slicks.  With the worm & peg it took some
>doing.  Joe B..............snip
I think Joe is onto the crux of the matter. We're in this hobby for
enjoyment, after all. If you can make a change to a car that makes it
feel better, or is easier to operate, it's more fun and it's got to
be good. And, no, I'm not talking about stratospheric horsepower or
obscene weight reductions or juiced-up fuel. I'm talking about a good
form-fitting seat. I'm talking about a harness that makes your
anatomy one with the chassis. How about linear brake response? How
about gear ratios that really work right - like close ratios in a TR
gearbox that eliminates that awful chasm between second and third? Or
some nifty gauge like an EGT that lets you know which two cylinders
aren't doing their share? Maybe that stuff translates into
world-beater times for other guys, but for me, it primarily makes it more fun.

It's too bad that these things are so hard to regulate. I wouldn't
know how to set up such rules. But, if I can do stuff to my car that
enhances the fun of driving it, without being a big horsepower or
weight cheater, I think it's great. And if the guy next to me on the
grid has improved his steering so it makes him feel better, I say that's okay.

uncle jack