fot

RE: Engine won't run

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine won't run
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:00:45 -0700
> If you can't find a automotive coil/condenser checker

Been trying to buy one on eBay, but I keep getting outbid.  Guess others want
them more than I do.

> then what you need is
> a high voltage DC power supply and a milliammeter (preferably a DMM on the
> Amps scale because you are going to peg the meter initially). You apply the
> voltage to the capacitor with the meter in series. The meter pegs until the
> condenser (capacitor) charges, and then shows some leakage current. The less
> the better.

I'm guessing that the leakage current should be well below 1 ma for a healthy
condensor.  Guess I'll have to throw together a 400v power supply (3 caps & 3
diodes should do, just triple 120vac from the wall) and test a few "known good"
condensers.

Randall