fot

Re: Hoosier tire wear survey

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hoosier tire wear survey
From: "Jeff Snook" <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:35:33 -0400
Jack, I went into the Grattan weekend with 10 heat cycles on my Hoosiers.
That would normally equate to 2 weekends (2 sessions on Friday, 2 sessions
on Saturday and 1 race on Sunday).

They were great during the 3 sessions on Friday, but started loosing grip on
Saturday during our first session.  And the left rear was worn out at the
end of that session. (Thanks Tony for your cast-offs!)

So, from this recent experience I would say that 12 to 13 heat cycles are
about how long these tires are going to stay sticky, unless circumstances
wear them out before.  How many race weekends depends on how much track time
you get at any particular event.  If you go to one of Mike Jackson's VDCA
events and get track sessions three times a day for 3 days I doubt you will
get 2 weekends out of a set.

The above is assuming you are racing hard and sliding the car around a bit.
And don't give me that line about you weren't that fast either!!  We were
running pretty close together.  You were plenty fast and in addition, I
think Grattan is pretty hard on tires!!

I will continue tracking heat cycles on my new set of Hoosiers when I get
them, but Bob Woodman told me 12 to 15 and it sounds like he is right on the
money (ours of course!).

Vroom, vroom,

Jeff Snook
http://www.snooksdreamcars.com