fot

RE: Hurricane Katrina

To: BillB@bnj.com
Subject: RE: Hurricane Katrina
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
Yeah, they spend time in their cars, but they don't drive nearly
as far as we do. Not nearly. The 'easy' 30 minute commute here is
borderline insane there; no one would drive 90 minutes one way
to get to work (they might take the train that far, though,
but not every day).

I just spent two weeks in Switzerland in car-free cities
(Saas-Fee and Zermatt). What a pleasant change.

> There's almost no response to rising gas prices here--I haven't seen anyone
> filling cans (remember that?)

Not in Portland, OR, perhaps, but it's happening in the South
and East.