fot

Re: Group 44 Gt6 - For Sale - Buyer Be Very Beware

To: GRMTim@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Group 44 Gt6 - For Sale - Buyer Be Very Beware
From: Group44TR7@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:46:13 EDT
Tim

    I apologize for not replying sooner, but I did have not had access to
email until this evening.

    Those of us who are fortunate to own these car prefer not to reveal all
of the unique distinquishing features. This car is missing some of them, but
that could have happened as a result of continuing SCCA racing.

    It is difficult to reconcile the July 1969 date with it being used by
Group 44 during the 1969 season. Remember that this is the chassis date in the
UK, not the delivery date in the USA. So at the very best, this car might have
been used by Group 44 for a few races in 1969. I would suggest that you check
with the British Heritage Trust about the shipment date to the USA.

    As Joe has revealed :( , Group 44 racecars often do not have chassis
numbers. This is one of the reasons why owners prefer not reveal all the unique
features. Revealing the features make the cars vulnerable to someone making
copies and claiming that they are the real car.

    You are taking the right step by having Lanky inspect the car. You are
fortunate to have someone from the actual Group 44 team and particularly Lanky
to be able to look at this car. This car was built around the time that Lanky
joined the team, so he is a great position to tell you what will need to be
restored on the car to its team setup.

    I would point out that if the original tub was damaged and most of the
parts transferred, it might be difficult for Lanky to determine whether it is
an
original tub. So you should still check with the British Heritage Trust as
well about the car. They can sometime give you specific shipment dates and
destinations.

    The other issue is that the team built racecars for customers. These cars
were typically identical to the team's actual cars. I understand that it was
common practice for the team to offer the customer the choice of current team
car or the newly constructed racecar. At least that was the situation when the
original owner of my Group 44 customer car purchased his car, he was offer
the choice of John Kelly's spitfire or the new racecar. Incidently, this
customer car also had the chassis number removed by Group 44.

    As Bill has pointed out, at the very least you have an interesting story
here about your interest in this car and can point out to others the need to
carefully investigate their purchase. At best, you have a car that raced with
Group 44 during part of the 1969 season.

Cary

In a message dated 9/15/2005 7:19:02 AM Pacific Standard Time, GRMTim@aol.com