fot

Re: Hallett Shootout - Car Classification - Clarification

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hallett Shootout - Car Classification - Clarification
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 05:24:25 -0600
I've tried really hard to stay out of this round of rules discussion
but there is one aspect that doesn't seem to have been discussed.

The FOT is not a governing body, but it is a wonderful association of
friends who race Triumphs. In past TR events, we have found a way to
include every Triumph that shows up. That included TR8's at mid Ohio,
TR8's at Mosport, fully SCCA prepared and flared TR4 at VIR. In
addition, there have been cars from the UK, which, as Bill Dentinger
commented, even had a few Triumph parts on them. How about those
Formula 3 brakes costing $3000 a car? How about the
computer-programmable fuel injection systems? Hey, if Charles ever
got a Sabrina engine running, would we turn the LeMans TR away
because it didn't conform to current rules? How about the question of
letting TR powered specials run in the same group as stock bodied
cars? None of us have a problem with that -- in fact, we love it.

Who cares? It was a hoot! i thought it was great fun to see how we
all compared. So what if they did drink our beer, chase our women,
and win a trophy? There were no problems and no complaints. It was
wonderful to have them here. FOT is an inclusive, not exclusive gang.
Allowing "non-conforming' cars at an event like this is in the spirit
of the FOT, which is a quite different matter than allowing them to
compete on an even footing at every race.

The same was true of the big Healey bash last summer. Hey, baby,
those cars were prepared to every conceivable level -- but would we
really turn guys away who came all the way from Australia to race
with us just because he had an aluminum block? No way. Let's find a way.