fot

RE: four cyl diesel

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: four cyl diesel
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:54:58 -0800
>   Why is it that we don't have a good reliable domestic 4 cyl diesel?

I believe we do ... Cummins, John Deere and Detroit Diesel all offer diesel
engines all the way down to 1L or so.

But so far, all attempts to offer diesel-powered cars in the US have more or
less failed for one reason or another.  Smoke, noise, smell and lack of
power have all been problems ... Friend of mine bought a new diesel Audi
5000 many years ago and his first comment was that it sounded like a
"blender full of marbles" when he started it in the morning.

AFAIK only the crazy Germans are offering diesel cars in the US at the
moment ... and even they haven't bothered to get them to pass CA smog rules.
It's only economically feasible when they can sell us the same drivetrain
they sell in Europe.

Besides, with most gas car engines going 100k miles between tune-ups these
days, and diesel fuel being even more expensive than gas, what's the
motivation for a diesel car ?

Randall