fot

Re: tranny's

To: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Subject: Re: tranny's
From: Larry Young <larry.young@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:53:53 -0600
Here are the ratios we're talking about:

Standard        3.14    2.01    1.32    1.00
Close   2.19    1.57    1.23    1.00
Std/OD  2.57    1.65    1.08    0.82
Close/OD        1.80    1.29    1.01    0.82

It's clear from these numbers that with close ratios, the overdrive is
not as useful for splitting gears. However, what's missing from this
discussion is rear end ratios.  If you run an overdrive, you should
probably run a higher gear in the rearend. For example, a 4.55 in 4th
overdrive is 3.73, almost the same as a 3.70 in 4th with no overdrive.
Larry