fot

Re: Valve Stem Seals

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve Stem Seals
From: claus@triumphracing.net
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:40:05 +0100 (CET)
I don't use them either, as my machine shop adviced against it for my
Spitfire with standard iron valve guides - apparantly they need more
lubrication than the bronze ones, and the seals do limit the lubrication.

But I'd like to use them next time I have the head rebuilt. My inlet
valves were totally covered in very rough deposits, so bad that it clearly
ruined the flow (I'd run the engine for 1 1/2 season).

Besides this obvious problem I've read somewhere says that the oil that
gets sucked down contaminates the fuel/air mix and lowers the octane
rating of the fuel.

Claus Ebberfeld
Aarhus, Denmark
1963 Spitfire 4