fot

Re: Oil choice

To: barry rosenberg <britcars@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Oil choice
From: Hugh Barber <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:50:37 -0800
barry rosenberg wrote:
>     Has anybody heard that they removed Zinc from most new oils and that is
> one of the problems with the majority of oils and our old bearing material.
> I have been told that the new car bearings are designed to work without the
> Zinc but our older bearings that we seek so hard to find and pay dearly for
> do not work with the newer oil compounds. What does the Zinc in oil do
> anyway?  Barry

Barry,

One of my <other> vices is motorcycling.  Oil quality/content is a
common topic on motorcycle boards.  The word from the cycle guys is that
to get a higher zinc content (although I don't know if its as high as it
"used" to be), you need to use "Racing" motor oil, motorcycle oil, or
diesel motor oil (Shell Rotella, etc).

Hugh