fot

[FOT] Starter Longevity Tip - Hi Torque Versions - RTV

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Starter Longevity Tip - Hi Torque Versions - RTV
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 08:55:30 EST
FoT

If you have a 6,000 RPM Engine this is not likely necessary, but still
preventive.

I was told that vibration is a great enemy of the starter and that there is a
big difference between 6,000 and 7500RPM in the potential for vibration. The
little internal wires will break more readily at 6,000+ RPM.

Prevention:  Remove the rear cap of the starter and apply a modest amount of
RTV on the wires to prevent vibration leading to a break.

Makes sense to me. And doesnt cost anything, but a couple of minutes.

A secondary effort would be to bracket the rear of the starter...not because
it needs the support, but to dampen the vibration.

Joe (A)