fot

[FOT] front spindles and spacers

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] front spindles and spacers
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:59:27 -0600
This message is part project report and part market survey for a kit
that most of you are familiar with.

A couple of years ago I determined why our TR brakes were
unpredictable when racing - sometimes high pedal, sometimes low. The
cause is the flexing of the front spindles, causing the brake pads to
be pushed back. The solution to this problem was to make replacement
front stub axles from better materials using better processes,
install a spacer and shims between the inner and outer bearings, and
upgrade the nut and washer hardware.

A Triumph owner in Arizona owned a machine shop and was anxious to
get into supplying specialty parts to TR owners. He did in-depth
further development of the concept and made two runs of this high
quality kit and they were sold through Ken Gillanders at BFE. The
cost of the kit for both sides of one car was between $250 and $300.
Unfotunately for us racers, the business that was making these has
undergone a change in ownership and a change in mission, and although
they would like to continue supplying these, they cannot because of
capacity problems. Basically, there are simply no kits available,and
no prospect for getting any more, although Ken has a waiting list of
people who want them.

This kit works so well that I have a passionate desire that it should
remain on the market for racers and autocrossers, esopecially since
it is a safety upgrade. I am negotiating with the machine shop to
gain possession of the documents and the inventory of steel. I intend
to find another vendor and make these available again. I don't think
it will be possible to pull this off prior to the start of the racing
season, but I'm hoping for early in the season, anyway.

To make these available again will require an initial investment of
several thousand dollars on my part which I will recoup through a
modest profit on the kits. The reason for this message is to update
you on the situation, and to ask if you would help me determine the
level of interest, so that I can establish an initial run size.

If you are interested in this project, or if you know of someone who
is not on the list who might be interested, and if you think there is
a better-than-50-50 chance that you would buy a kit if available,
would you please send me an email reply so I can count noses? (not a
firm commitment, but a reasonable expectation)

Thanks in advance

uncle jack