fot

Re: [FOT] TR6 alternative pistons

To: fasttrs@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [FOT] TR6 alternative pistons
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:57:45 -0500
Mike Munson asked:

>Has anyone found any oversized pistons from another car that will work in a
>TR6 engine?

The Australians are verey keen on using Mazda E-series falt-tops.  The block
has to be machined
0.110" oversized, meaning final displacement is around 2.7 litres.  The
pistons bolt right on with
only the wrist pins requiring work.

The only downside is that 0.11" oversize takes you really close to the water
jacket.  I've measured
a lot of blocks and find that after boring the wall would be 50 thous
thinner than the factory
recommends.  Although the Aussies seem happy with the conversion, I would
resleeve the
cylinders.

Shane Ingate in Maryland

PS:  "Rags" interior is coming together.  I laid out a new dash in CAD and
cut it on a milling
machine.  Alloy floor, firewall and door panels are installed.  Good golly,
I'll be putting in the
seats for the last time this week!