fot

RE: [FOT] TR6 alternative pistons

To: "'SHANE Ingate'" <hottr6@hotmail.com>, <fasttrs@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: [FOT] TR6 alternative pistons
From: "Terry and Cindy" <Roadandtrack2@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:19:49 +1000
I have done the machine shop work for many of these engines here in
Australia, and believe I started the trend in 1976 or 77. I did a batch
of 5 of them for 1 trade customer late last year. Rarely have a problem.
The pistons have to have circlip grooves cut, as well as the rods eyes
re-bushed to suit the metric pin. We have used Nissan, Mazda & Honda
pistons quite successfully. Now that forged pistons are getting cheaper,
that's the way to go for proper race engines. If you still want to use
this idea, fitting buttons to the gudgeon pins would lower the cost, but
only if someone knows of a generic supplier, rather than making them by
hand, but this is mostly done for race use.

Terry