fot

Re: [FOT] More Sabrina twin cam recollections

To: "tr4.tony@virgin.net" <tr4.tony@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] More Sabrina twin cam recollections
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:30:52 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Whilst everyone is recalling the TR3S, TRS's and the Sabrina twin-cam
engine, I'll toss in a tuppence. Our club was touring down to the '94 VTR
in Asheville and we stopped in to the Gp 44 garage in Winchester, VA.
While Lanky Foushee was showing us a Kurtis midget racer, I nearly fell
over backwards against a cart with at least two engines (lots of
pieces)... my buddy recognised the complete motor and asked "Hey Lanky, is
this a Sabrina engine?" Yes was the reply. Very kool. Gp 44 was in the
process of evaluating the motors for rebuild for TRF and Charles Runyan.

What I recall most about the engines was the way they were constructed.
They looked very modular with a crank girdle cast section and then various
machined parts bolted to it. With my crude machine experience I recall
thinking to myself how much fun it would be to make something like that -
and also how time-consuming.

But I also recall Lanky saying that Charles had a number of the engines,
possibly 3 of the 5 ever built. Presumably, these were the first run of
the engines. I have no idea where that project stands - perhaps we should
ping TRF/Charles.

Next to the Conrero, the TRS is probably my second favorite Triumph
design. It would be way kool to own one of those cars!

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx