fot

RE: [FOT] Powder coating roll bars

To: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>,
Subject: RE: [FOT] Powder coating roll bars
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:03:57 -0800
Bob:

I'll be a little less coy than Rick.  Take a look at any of the push
bars, roof racks or other accessory items that are available powder
coated after they have been on a vehicle for a few years.

Any scratches, or chips become instant rust traps as the exposed metal
has no protection from moisture traveling under the coating.

As Rick noted, if your car is for show and the bar will be protected
then the finish will hold up beautifully.  If however it is going to be
a working car with likely modifications to the bar structure in the
future, then a good quality primer/top coat paint finish is going to
hold up better and be easily repairable in the future.

Just as an aside.  One of the silliest things I've seen on a race track
is a set of overheated powder coated brake drums.

Kelvin.