fot

[FOT] Suspension questions

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Suspension questions
From: Sean Green <sean.green@seawestproducts.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:17:20 -0700
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on race suspension for a
'71 Triumph TR6. It's an autocross car. I have in it already the
urethane bushings, TRFs road racing springs (I couldn't find anyone
there that could tell me what the spring rates are), single adjustable
SPAX shocks in the front (purchased from TRF) and AVO single adjustable
(tube conversion inside the coil) in the rear from RevingtonTR in
England. I also have 7/8 inch sway bars front and rear from Goodeparts.
It has a Quaife LSD too. The tires are Kumho Ecsta V710 225/50-15 on
8.5" wide aluminum wheels.

With what I have the car turns in great, is neutral with just a hint of
oversteer. It transitions well, slaloms well and holds on in a sweeping
turn. My problem is that the rear is bouncy, bumps upset the car
terribly. If there is even a hint of washboard in a corner it's more
like driving a speedboat than a car.

My current thought is to upgrade to a pair of Penske double adjustable
coil-overs in the rear.

So my questions are...

Does anyone know what the spring rates are for the TRF road race
springs? What sort of spring rates are the road racing crowd using on
the TR6? Has anyone tried the coil-over shocks in these cars? What sort
of alignment?

I'd like to hear what others have done to their cars. Mine is reasonably
fast and handles very well except for the bounciness. I'd like to make
it faster, though.

Thanks in advance, any opinions or advice is appreciated.

Sean Green